Healthy broccoli cheddar soup packed with carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese. This creamy velvety soup is much better than Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup and can be made in under 30 minutes for a fraction of the price!
- 4 tablespoons butter ½ stick
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2–3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoon AP flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika or ground nutmeg, optional
- 3 cups broccoli florets or 1 large head, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot grated, julienned or finely chopped
- 2 cups half & half or milk or light or heavy cream
- 8 oz block grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups (mild, medium, or sharp )
Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes or until softened and light gold. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Add flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes or until the flour begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the chicken stock, broccoli florets, carrots, and seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are cooked through.
Stir in half & half and cheddar cheese and simmer for another minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Serve with toasted crusty bread or in a bread bowl if desired.
Serving: 1bowl (1/4th recipe) | Calories: 570kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 1225mg | Potassium: 529mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4381IU | Vitamin C: 65mg | Calcium: 603mg | Iron: 2mg